Sunday, September 25, 2016

My thoughts on: Big Ideas for Better Schools

     There were many parts of this video that stood out to me.  The one that stood out the most is the part regarding project based learning.  I noticed that this video was an older one, so what stood out to me is how there is now a big push on using project based learning in the classroom.  I, myself, think that this is an amazing idea.  The educator who said, "I have had many students come back, years later, and say, remember that project we did, but I've never had a student come back and say, remember that test we took", was 100 percent correct.  I can remember many projects that I have done but very few tests.  I also really enjoyed that part where the class was relating cars across all subjects.  In math they were calculating financing options, in ELA they were writing cars ads, etc.  I feel that this is very beneficial to students because relating one topic across all areas of curricula not only helps a student learn and remember what they learned, but it also relates what they are learning to real life.
     This clip relates to me, as a future teacher, because it shows some of the progress that we have made, but also how far we still have to go.  The project based learning is a great example.  I think that although there is a huge push right now, we still have a long way to go before all teachers are comfortable with using project based learning.  I hope to be able to use project based learning in my future classroom on a regular basis.  I also think that it is important for teachers to use project based learning in the classroom and not just assign a student a project to do outside of class. What makes project based learning so interesting and engaging is allowing students to work with and learn from each other.  The part on parental involvement also stood out to me. I feel that this part relates to my future because we still have a long way to go in perfecting parental involment.  I think that as a future teacher I must study and learn as much as I can regarding the difficulties of parental involvement in order to try to prepare myself of my own classroom.  I stumbled across an article on Facebook this week that dealt with this exact issue and I finished reading that article with a different perspective than I had when I started.
     This video gives a lot of food for thought to further teachers and teachers in general.  It's eye opening to see how a lot of the topics in this video are still not happening in our schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment